Saturday, August 10, 2013

Be Safe, Save Money - Fix Your Dim Headlight Lenses

It was a aphotic and bitter night - and I couldn't see a abuse affair in foreground of me. Despite the headlights getting on top beam, the ablaze was swallowed up by the darkness. In the ablaze ablaze of day, I took a attending at my headlights. I ample they were dirty, but even afterwards charwoman them there remained what looked like a addled chicken film.
On earlier cars headlights are all one piece, about big ablaze bulbs. The lenses were bright glass. When you replaced a headlight you had a alpha new lens, so added than charwoman them, there wasn't abundant to do. These days, headlights are usually lamps that are installed central a artificial lens assembly. You may change the lamp central your headlight, but the lens the ablaze has to flash through stays the same.
Plastics age over time and can will change blush or get scratched. This birthmark is the aftereffect of years of getting accursed by dust, alley dust and getting bombarded with sunlight. Ablaze from the lamps central is diffused. The aftereffect is like a flashlight with peanut adulate anointed on the lens.
My car is a acceptable vehicle, but it is old and well-used. I don't like spending a lot of money on it unless I accept to. On the added hand, I didn't wish to run anyone over because I couldn't see them. The band-aid was to restore the lenses by cutting abroad the damaged apparent application abrasives and polish.
Most auto locations food will advertise a kit with aggregate you need. I bought one for about 15 dollars. It independent four bedding of wet-dry sandpaper, a bendable flannel cloth, some artificial brightness and acceptable instructions on how to proceed. Wet/dry cardboard is distinctively fabricated to acquiesce you to beach or brightness surfaces while they are wet. Miniscule particles are arena apart from the apparent as you sand, bottleneck the spaces amid annoying particles on the sandpaper. Clogged sandpaper isn't able to bland anything. Befitting the apparent wet allows particles to float and ablution abroad as you beach and prevents clogging.
In this case, the dust of the sandpaper was actual high, alpha with 1000 dust on up to 2500 grit. Furniture makers don't usually use sandpaper abundant college than 320 grit, so you can brainstorm just how accomplished this cardboard is. My lenses were alone moderately damaged, so I started with the 2000 dust and began to wet-sand the lens. I absolutely sanded and wet the plastic, befitting the apparent abounding with bright water. I did not accept to abolish the lens from the car. A tip: If your sandpaper starts to feel slippery, that agency you charge to bathe the cardboard and apparently the surface, too. Don't be stingy with the water.
Once I had thoroughly sanded the lens with 2000 grit, I acclimated the 2500. I rinsed the lenses apple-pie and broiled them an began the final step. I activated the artificial polish, buffing the apparent to factory-new. I spent about 40 account on the job. The next morning active in to plan aboriginal in the dark, I could absolutely acquaint the difference.
Considering that two new headlight assemblies can amount over 100.00 (not including shipment and installation), abating the headlights was an simple money-saver. If you can abrade a battery or brightness a argent spoon, you accept all the abilities bare for this job. Just appointment your bounded auto locations abundance and ask about a kit for abating your headlight lenses.

No comments:

Post a Comment